Sunday, April 22, 2012

Spring is in the Air…

everywhere I look around!!
2012-04-20
Okay, I have a confession to make.  As much as I love the shrubs and trees and flowers that bloom every season in our yard, I HATE yard work.  We have lived in this house for 12 years this month and when we moved in, the lawns were all grass with some wonderful live oak and magnolia trees.  Sometime during that first spring, my husband Gar let me in on a little secret of his, he HATES to mow grass.  So the transformation began that very first summer,  out with the grass, in with the gardens.  Sounds good in theory.  Since I had never been a gardener, at least an outside one, first order of business was to take a “Newcomers to Florida” gardening course at the county extension office. Never mind that I had already lived in Florida for 25 years, I was still a newbie.  It was a great help and we were on our way. 
The way it was….Lots and lots of grass
Gazebo
First project…line the walk way to the dock with palm trees.
Sunday Pixs 010
And the planting has never stopped!
Now..
IMG_6849
I love all my spring blooms and can’t wait for everything to be lush and lovely again.  It was an easy winter on most of the tropical plants and they are coming back much earlier than usual.  Wahoo!
Today….
IMG_0276
Camellias


IMG_1306
Day Lilies


IMG_6811
Gardenia


IMG_6809
Knock Out Rose


IMG_6827
Day Lily


IMG_6828
Day Lily

IMG_6832
Iris

IMG_6834
Confederate Jasmine on fence at Dock

IMG_6835
Bougainvillea

IMG_6839
Dock boxes with Asparagus Fern and Sundial Scarlet Portulaca

IMG_6842
Petunias in a Pot

IMG_6844
Hanging Basket of Impatiens

IMG_6825
Amaryllis

IMG_6814
Chinese Snow Balls


IMG_6817
Roses


IMG_6818
Jasmine flowers


IMG_6824
Amaryllis

It has been a glorious spring!  Can’t wait for the rest of the yard to come back to life.  Oh, I forgot one little fellow.  He is on his way out but since I was teased incessantly in the early years about my gardening skills, even by the worst yard in the Hood I had to include him.
IMG_6845
They said if I could ever come up with a commercial use for dollar weed, I would be a millionaire!  Never could think of anything so guess it is time for a little Agent Orange.  Sorry fella. 
Till next time,
Shirley
This week I’ll be sharing with:
Between Naps on the Porch's Metamorphosis Monday
Southern Hospitality's Thrifty Treasures Monday
House in the Roses Show Off Your Cottage Monday
Boogie Board Cottage's Masterpiece Monday
Coastal Charm's Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
A Stroll Through Life's Tabletop Tuesday
Cozy Home Scene's Your Cozy Home Tuesday
Ivy and Elephant's What's It Wednesday
Faded Charm's White Wednesday
Savvy Southern Style's Wow Us Wednesday
Beach Cottage's Good Life Wednesday
The Style Sister's Centerpiece Wednesday
Between Naps on the Porch's Tablescape Thursday
No Minimalist Here's Open House Thursday
Shabby Creek Cottage's Transformation Thursday
French Country Cottage's Feather Your Nest Friday
My Romantic Home's Show and Tell Friday
At the Picket Fence's Inspiration Friday
The Charm of the Home's Home Sweet Home Friday
The Tablescaper Seasonal Sundays

4 comments:

  1. Stunning photos. Just beautiful! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful flowers and photos of them. Each one is beautiful but I particularly like the purple iris. We are coming out of a brief cold snap so hopefully we can get lots more planting done in the next few days. Thank you for sharing at Your Cozy Home Party. ---------Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing before and after--I loved it! I live all the way across the country, Washington State, so I have to grow amarylis inside, but I have a white summer jasmine that is huge and blooms every summer--smells so good! You have an amazing garden--those palm trees are huge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The walk lined with palms is gorgeous so is all of your flowers!
    Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete