Thursday, May 24, 2012

Walking in a Wicker Wonderland...

.....from waste to wonderfull!!!!!!



2012-05-23

On the day we closed on Foxy’s and moved into The Hood, I had a U-haul truck full of wicker furniture and tropical plants from Lowe’s ready to put on our wonderful new dock and outdoor living area.  We closed at 9am and by 6:30pm we were ready for our first party at the newly christened Foxy’s Too, after our favorite BVI watering hole.  Old lattice had been torn down to open the the gorgeous view down the bayou, benches built, plants and furniture arranged and we were ready to roll.  And things haven’t slowed down since that first party in May 2000.


Foxy Contest 009Gazebo







During the intervening years, we built a wonderful rustic bar from the picnic tables the previous owners left. The living area has expanded to include an outdoor cooking area for Chef Gar with wonderful seating area for me so I can be a back seat cook, and the dock itself has been reworked and re-decked to a more party friendly design.  And through it all, the same wicker pieces have been cleaned, re-stained, cushions recovered and re-arranged. 
June 2006 072June 2006 087
June 2006 080
IMG_6284IMG_6271


IMG_6273


2011-03-08_11-17-60
Waiting patiently for their turn for a spring facelift!

Wicker Warriors
Minwax PolyShades is a life saver when you live on the water.

IMG_6241
Bar stools re-stained and painted.  Ready for another season.

IMG_6239
Time to pull down all the old frames, repaint them and put up some new photos.  Thank goodness we only have to do this every four or five years.  Return visitors love to find their photos from a previous trip hanging from the rafters at Foxy’s!

IMG_6075
Some new Sunbrella chair cushions completed and ready for duty at Foxy’s Too! I have been sewing since I was a young teen so pillow and cushion covers are something I can almost do in my sleep.

IMG_6562
I found this dining table and chairs on Craigslist a couple of years ago for $100.00.  Table was really dated bronze tones but new stain on the wood and some black spray paint helped a lot.  Recovering the chair  seats was a snap and the Sunbrella is fabulous.  Cleaning after a party now just entails a spray down with the hose.

IMG_7247


IMG_7249
And I also discovered that I have a little Fred Sanford in me.  I have a difficult time passing up a piece of wicker that has been discarded and is waiting to be taken to the landfill.  My first find was a wicker and black iron cocktail table looking pretty forlorn in a pile of wicker a neighbor was tossing.  Before you could say Abracadabra!! it was on the dock ready to do party duty.   All it need was some new stain and a a new glass top from my wonderful glass company!  It is perfect for late afternoon wine and cheese with Chef Gar!

IMG_7173

 
IMG_7308
When Chef Gar was picking up the glass table top for the cocktail table, the owner was curious as to what we were doing now and Gar explained that I had become a dumpster diver and was rescuing wicker in distress.   Low and behold, he had a settee, chair and small table that he was throwing out!  We had just completed the outdoor kitchen area and it was the perfect place for my cozy little grouping.  Once again, Minwax PolyShades came to the rescue along with some new cushions. The first pix is a before of one of the pieces.  I find that I usually forget this part!  You can see the corner of the little table in the top right corner that is already completed.

IMG_7138


IMG_7254
Just recently, I refinished two cute little wicker pieces that our next door neighbors has put out in the trash.  They were white so the PolyShades wasn’t going to work.  But numerous cans of black enamel spray paint did the trick.  Again, forgot to take a photo of the first chair. 

IMG_7253

They came out so cute and again, it is just one more place to sit and enjoy all there is to enjoy in The Hood! At the Pig Fest last weekend, it was amusing the see my neighbors discovering their discarded trash turned to Treasures on the dock at Foxy’s! 

IMG_7258


IMG_7260
This is the bar that we made from the cedar picnic table wood, some old fencing material and parts of an old floating dock. You can see the weirdness along the top of the bar from the wood being in the water.

IMG_7264
Love to repurpose stuff! And in case you might have missed it… We are Gator fans!

IMG_7263
The sink on the bar is an old enamel dish pan that I found at a local antique store.  It was the perfect size and works well with all the other rustic aspects of our bar.

IMG_7262
We built this cook top a couple of years ago.  Chef Gar has a couple of different propane burners that he can switch out.  His paella cooker is probably his favorite.

IMG_7270
The perfect Sunday morning…bayou view, coffee and rocking away while reading the paper.  Miss my New York Times crossword now that we have gone digital but it is still a great place to spend the morning.

IMG_7282

This is Foxy’s Too as it is today!   Who knows what tomorrow will bring. 

IMG_7296

Till next time….Santé,
This week I’ll be sharing with:
Between Naps on the Porch's Metamorphosis Monday
Southern Hospitality's Thrifty Treasures Monday
House in the Roses Show Off Your Cottage Monday
Boogie Board Cottage's Masterpiece Monday
Coastal Charm's Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
A Stroll Through Life's Tabletop Tuesday
Cozy Home Scene's Your Cozy Home Tuesday
Ivy and Elephants' What's It Wednesday
Faded Charm's White Wednesday
Savvy Southern Style's Wow Us Wednesday
The Style Sisters Centerpiece Wednesday
No Minimalist Here's Open House Thursday
Shabby Creek Cottage's Transformation Thursday
French Country Cottage's Feather Your Nest Friday
My Romantic Home's Show and Tell Friday
At the Picket Fence's Inspiration Friday
The Charm of the Home's Home Sweet Home Friday

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie! Now you know what has been keeping momma busy this spring! You need to take a break from the city and head to the beach and see it all in person! Love you. Momma

      Delete
  2. This looks like THE place to be in the summer. I bet you have a lot of happy memories relaxing and having fun out there. It is very beautiful. I had to laugh at the Fred Sanford reference as Sandford and Son is still one of my brother's favorite shows. Thanks for sharing with us at Your Cozy Home Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Shannon. I do enjoy Your Cozy Home Party. So many great ideas to explore. As for the Sanford and Son reference, I am sure that husband Gar is very happy that I only have a small sports car or no telling what I would be lugging home. Hope to see you back on the Bayou soon! Shirley

      Delete
  3. This turned out fantastic! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting Home Sweet Home Sherry. It is great to see so many wonderful ideas from across the country! Hope to see you back at the Bayou soon! Shirley

      Delete
  4. This is one of the coolest posts I've ever read, and this is definitely one of the coolest places I've ever seen to hang out. I'm partial to wicker, and I love that you saved so much of it from premature death. I also love the bayou feel of your paint colors and decor. Your home is very exotic to a high desert Idahoan; like going on vacation! What I'd give to be sitting on your beach with a rum drink in my hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurel. We actually bought the house because of the dock. It is deep water and on the correct side of the bridges for a sailboat. The outdoor room was just a huge plus! We have spent many days and nights just looking down the bayou! I am partial to wicker also and I am sure my husband is thankful that I just have a small sports car! No telling how much I could rescue if I only had a truck!! LOL! But I do enjoy giving it a new life if only for a few years. I have the rum and the chair...come on down! Hope to see you soon back on the Bayou. Shirley

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is your stained wicker over white paint? I have some off white pieces I would like are darker brown.

    ReplyDelete